DeRegt works with each individual client to provide the perfect cable solution for their specific requirements. Each cable system by DeRegt is custom-made and this does not only apply to the cables themselves, but the terminations as well.
DeRegt is able to design the termination to adapt to specific circumstances and to think outside the box to find the right solution for every situation. From deep undersea to high in the sky, terminations can be grouped into a few types which share similar features.
They usually consist of four main elements:
- Connector(s): the electrical and/or optical components in the cable are connected to a specific connector.
- Strength member termination: the strength member of the cable terminates in an element that transfers the load to the metal parts of the termination.
- Sealing mechanisms: water barriers to prevent water from entering the termination.
- Bend protection: this element protects the cable from excessive bending or kinking at the back of the termination.
There are five types of terminations:
1. Seismic source umbilical terminations
Source umbilical cables generally consist of a hose, a relatively large number of electrical components, and a steel wire armour. The wet end termination for a source umbilical cable for the seismic marine industry is robust, usually larger in diameter (> Ø200 mm) and made of stainless steel metal work. Reliability is key. The sealed container (called the “bell house”) allows for space to route the cable components to the different connectors.
Read on in the White Paper.